| Login | Sign Up
Contributor
rizvan

My friend has met with an accident and has lost both his legs.

My friend has met with an accident and has lost both his legs. Can some one let me know in case of permanent total disability, what amount can be received from the personal accident insurance?

4 REPLIES 4
Frequent Contributor
nik

Re: My friend has met with an accident and has lost both his legs.

Hi Rizvan,

Permanant disability means that in case there is a permanent total disability, in which a person is disabled for life, the SUM assured is paid to the person, depending on the company. Example – Loss of

1. both hands or both feet
  2. one hand and one feet
  3. one (hand or foot) and an eye
  4. loss of sight of both eyes OR speech OR Hearing of both ears
Anuj Shergil
Frequent Contributor
Ena

Frequent Contributor
Ena

A personal accident policy covers death, permanent total disability, permanent partial disability and total temporary disability due to an accident. First of all, these events have to happen in an accident. If the insured person dies or gets totally or partially disabled through a natural illness, such disability (or death) will not be covered under a personal accident policy.

Frequent Contributor
Ena

With the boost in technology in the world of transportation, the speed at which you commute is increasing day by day. It surely does help in getting your tasks done at a quick pace, but it also exposes you to the risk of unprecedented events such as accidents.
Accidents are always bitter. It causes death, or may lead to permanent disability such as loss of arms, legs, or you can even suffer a major head injury. Generally, a life insurance or a health insurance policy helps you in covering sufficient amount of financial reimbursement after an accident, but the amount is very less. In such situations, it is highly advisable to opt for an extra cover through personal accident insurance.
Now, let us look at some of the covers extended under personal accident insurance policy.
1. Accidental Death
In the ill-fated event of the death of the person who was insured, the entire amount would go to the Insured person’s nominee. It is highly advisable for you to provide a nominee for every family member who is insured under Personal Accident Policy.
2. Permanent Total Disablement
In the unfortunate event where the insured person is totally disabled, the entire sum insured is paid to the insured person.
3. Permanent Partial Disablement
In the ill-fated event of permanent partial disability of the person who is insured, a certain percentage of the sum insured is paid to the insured person. The calculation is done after determining the extent of the loss.
4. Temporary Total Disablement
You get weekly benefits in case of accidents resulting in home confinement. The amount of weeks that you are eligible to get the benefits would change depending on the type of policy you avail and your insurer.
5. Accident Hospitalisation
Medical expenses arising due to accidents that may lead to partial or total disablement are covered under this policy.