| Login | Sign Up
Contributor
Puneet Sood

I want to buy a health insurance policy.

I want to buy a health insurance policy. I am 36-years-old. I underwent a procedure to remove kidney stones a couple of years ago. There are high chances of my application being rejected. What is the way out for me?

1 REPLY 1
Contributor
Liena Shetty

Re: I want to buy a health insurance policy.

Insurers are increasingly declining health insurance coverage to prospects with adverse medical history, in some cases with relatively minor issues. This is probably because health insurance is renewable lifelong. But, people with pre-existing conditions can get health insurance if they identify the right products. I recommend you to consider the following. First, apply for a standard health insurance policy offered by larger insurers since these tend to be more accommodating of minor health issues. A few of these insurers may issue you insurance with a premium increase or an exclusion for kidney-related ailments.

Second, consider top-up health insurance. These plans typically have a deductible of up to Rs5 lakh. Expenses above the deductible are covered. Top-up plans are available at a fraction of the cost of standard health insurance, and are issued more liberally.

Third, take cover through your employer-provided group insurance. Group plans are guaranteed issued to all members. Several employers facilitate employee-paid group top-up health insurance as well. You should subscribe to such programmes if offered by your employer.