| Login | Sign Up
Contributor
Nikhil Shetty

I own a car that is 6 years old. I have been diligent with properly insuring it every year

I own a car that is 6 years old. I have been diligent with properly insuring it every year and have never taken any claim. Its renewal is due in January. However, I have been with my son in the US since November last year, and will only return in March this year. I do not remember any details of the insurance policy and don’t have my car registration papers here either. Please advise on what to do. Will I have to insure afresh when I get back?

1 REPLY 1
Contributor
Ritika Bhansali

Re: I own a car that is 6 years old. I have been diligent with properly insuring it every year

If you are unable to trace details of your current policy, then this policy will lapse. Your car will remain uninsured between January and March. When you come back in March, you can apply for a fresh policy. The insurer will carry out an inspection of the car before issuing you fresh coverage. Any existing damage on the car will not be covered in this new policy. The good news is that you will be able to carry forward your no-claim bonus for up to 90 days after your current policy expires.

In your case this will be a substantial benefit, i.e., 50% of own-damage premium. When you buy the new insurance policy, you should provide your email ID to the insurer and broker. They typically send advance renewal notices on mail with an option to pay online, if required. This will help you avoid a similar situation in future.